Now for a complete change in pace from my last post which was directed towards all my single ladies, this one is for chicks who are looking to buy something for their boo. If you are like me, you are a terrible gifter. I have been dating my boyfriend for a little over three years and his last birthday (which was two months ago in December) was the first time in our courtship I haven’t been embarrassed to hand over whatever shamble of a gift I had thrown together. Even after countless hours brainstorming, seconding guessing, last minute ordering, looking for a better deal etc. I always end up so unsure of what to get that it inevitably becomes a last minute gift. So this gift guide is as much for me as you. Hopefully I will remember it next time I am stressing and before I order a Lynch Seahawks jersey off a shifty Chinese website for half the regular price and it shows up spelt ‘LINCH’. A similar situation did take place a couple years ago.
Fortunately for me, Scott and I aren’t huge gift buyers. We exchange birthday gifts, but usually plan trips for Christmas and nice dinner dates for anniversaries and Vday. For me personally, the best gift I can get from him is a card with a sweet note. That could also be because he has the emotional capacity of a kidney bean so anniversaries and Valentines are the only days he really feels the figurative barrel to his figurative temple to spit out something sweet. But I love him none the less and will be missing him and our dinner date next Friday as he is in Brussels until the spring.
So here are a few ideas for your main man:
1. I love Hershel backpacks. Scott and I actually both have camo print ones similar to this. They come with awesome features and are a local Vancouver company. Whether he’s a camper, a traveler, a student, whatever, he’s sure to get use out of this styley backpack.
2. Sperry Top-Siders may be a little bit too preppy for some guys. But I love them. With jeans or shorts, they are the perfect casual summer shoe. Also a little red for Valentines never hurts. These one’s are even on sale!
3. A portable speaker might seem boring but I actually use mine all the time. In my bathroom while I’m getting ready, in the basket of my bike while I’m seawall hustlin, at the beach, on the patio of my White Rock house, everywhere. I think they are just the best. This one is awesome, I actually got it for my Dad this Christmas. It plugs into your computer to charge and uses Bluetooth which is perfect when you want to be able to keep your cellphone on hand (AKA ALWAYS).
4. Apple TV. For the tech dork in all of us. Apple TV is awesome and if you need me to explain why GTFO.
5. Men’s shaving kit / travel case. Men’s accessories are so much sexier than women’s aren’t they? Our travel cases are hot pink and plasticy, even the top tier brands usual choose a vinyl type material, but men get leather. When men step up their game in the accessory department it makes a huge difference, I find those little details so refined and attractive. This Fossil Travel Kit in a rich cognac color is the perfect travel accessory the GQ aficionado in your man.
6. Socks. Not the six pack of champion tube socks your Grandmother gets your for Christmas (barf). These patterned socks are such a simple fun cheap gift, and they add an element of unique style to the otherwise fairly simple outfits that boys wear. A JCrew button down, good jeans and a pair of converse is really stepped up when you throw in a matching pair of polka dot socks. The BANNER sock from STANCE shown above, are the perfect example of a styley colored patterned sock that will boost your boys game (wait do you want that?). Joe Fresh has a few great picks on sale, also Urban Outfitters has a ton of awesome options and you can usually find a 3 for $20 deal.
7. We luuuhhhh coffee. I had always used a traditional coffee maker before meeting Scott who opened my eyes to this gem. These stovetop espresso coffee makers will blow your cute patterned socks off. It makes rich, strong and delicious coffee, you’ll never go back.
Of course I believe the best gifts come from the heart, so whatever you choose to give your boo this Valentines, make sure it’s accompanied by a little love note, I think the loves in our lives appreciate that more than they let on. On the other hand if you are solo next Friday please refer to my last post and come find my girlfriends and I terrorizing the dance floors of London Pub and Fortune. You’ll be able to pick us out by the way we hunt in a pack and make our decisions according to the WWBD? principle. [What would Britney (circa 2007) do?]
What are your Valentines day traditions? What are you gifting your significant other?